Monday, December 29, 2008

Squirrel Mafia

Sunday, 27 Dec 2008 - It’s a gorgeous day here in Northern Virginia. The temperature is in the upper 60’s – yes I said 60’s. It’s time for a bike ride. I head out to the W&OD – my old stand-by when I don’t like the team ride (and I sleep in like this morning).

About a 1 ½ hours into the ride I’m back near the dog kennel. I’m thinking about going in – just to look (I didn’t get one for Christmas :-( ). I decided against it since I can't figure out how to get the one that I would surely want back to the car on my bike. I’m unclipped from my pedal ready to cross the street when I finally start paying attention to my surroundings. That’s when I see them.

Two squirrels – conspiring, planning, waiting. I’ve slowed down to a crawl when they attack. The first one – stands up with his hands raised (I think he had a knife) and chirps (or whatever the noise that a squirrel makes is called). This turns out to be a distraction as the second one (I’ve named him Spaz) darts between my tires. I panic – as an animal lover I don’t want to hit either of them. I’m trying to bob and weave meanwhile I can’t put my foot down because Spaz seems to be everywhere. I also can’t unclip my other foot. I start to fall when suddenly Spaz pushes off my dangling foot to dart away as fast as he can. The first one just looks at me as I come to a stop, points, laughs and scampers away. Turns out it was just a warning. Next time, they might not be as nice. For the next 5 minutes I ponder what I’ve done to make the squirrel mafia so angry.

Then I spend the final 25 minutes wondering just what the heck am I going to think about during IMS for 112 miles!! Seriously, a 2 hour ride has me making up the squirrel mafia (the attack really happened but I don’t actually have proof they were part of the mafia. They may have just been high school kids goofing around). IMS will take darn close to 7 hours – oh the stories that should come out of that!

No comments: