Sunday, October 5, 2008

How this craziness began...


I’ve become addicted to triathlons and there is no 12-step program. As a result, I decided to join a team of other triathlon addicted folks so I could share the sweet, sweet misery. I ran into Team Z at a race in 2007 and noticed they were eating cheeseburgers and drinking beer near the finish line. Say no more – I knew this team was for me.

Fast forward to Feb 2008 – finally joined the team. I chose the “Under 70.3” program. To educate those non-triathletes (freaks) let me summarize the distances:
Sprint: ~ 750 meter swim, 15 mile bike, 3.1 mile run – give or take
Olympic: 1,500 meter swim, 25 mile bike, 6.2 mile run
½ IRONMAN (70.3): 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run
IRONMAN (140.6): 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run

I’d done many Sprints in the past and wanted to try to do Olympics in 2008 (the thought of riding 25 miles then running 6 terrified me!). So I started training and quickly experienced many firsts – first cycling in freezing rain, first runs in the freezing rain, first 10 miler (in the freezing rain) – seriously, I thought I moved to Seattle for the first couple of months!

At this point I was in total awe of those training for the Lake Placid (IRONMAN USA). I remember specifically saying I will NEVER do an IRONMAN. A couple months later my plan changed to Olympics in 2008, 70.3s in 2009, and MAYBE an IRONMAN in 2010. Then I met Jason…

Jason is a teammate who is very convincing, go figure – he’s an attorney. First Coach Ed brings up the possibility of an overseas race so Jason starts talking about Switzerland. “It’s beautiful.” “There’s cheese and chocolate”. “Beer and wine”. Then the clincher, he sent the trailer of IRONMAN Switzerland (IMS) 2007 and I was hooked. I seriously started thinking “hmm, maybe”. So I started obsessing about it (that’s what I do) and after bringing it up to my boyfriend for about the 10,000th time he said the words that would cement my decision to sign up for IRONMAN. What did he say?? Quite simply, “you won’t (stress won't NOT can't) do IRONMAN”. And that’s all it took, well those words and way too much tequila the night of actually signing up. But that’s another story.

No comments: