Monday, March 30, 2009

Giant Fail

After two spectacular training weeks of training I have become a giant failure. Recovery week was typical recovery week - in other words I did about 1/2 the work outs. Then we started week one of a three week build cycle.

I was on a business trip in Denver and my time for workouts was very limited. The pool at the hotel was closed so I knew I would miss all of the swims. I managed to get in a 60 minute run and a 60 minute bike. All I can say is altitude sucks - I followed the workouts but they were at a much lower intensity due to lack of oxygen.

On Wed I started to feel sick, flew home on Thursday, sick day on Friday.

Saturday I woke up still feeling like death warmed over. Since cycling is my weakest link, I know I need to get the miles in so I checked the weather to make my final decision. Three different web sites promised a 10% chance of precipitation so I headed down to Germantown. Well, apparently they left off a zero because it rained the entire time. The entire drive to the ride had me second-guessing myself, but in the end, I got 40 miles in (yes, my schedule called for 56 but I'm sick dang it!!!)

As I lay on the couch in misery on Saturday night I decided that I was not going to make the Scope It Out 5K (plus the additional 10 miles on the training schedule). I slept in on Sunday, followed by lounging around, then a movie. In the meantime, the cold has moved from the nose into my chest. By the way, the weather on Sunday was a beautiful 70 degrees. Figures!

I have every intention of making all of the workouts this week. If you see me out running or cycling beware. There is a 99% chance that I will be coughing, hacking, spitting or blowing snot rockets with a vengeance. Attractive, right?!

No comments: