Monday, March 16, 2009

So close...

My forgetfulness made me miss the optional swim this week. I was just finishing up weight lifting on Saturday, mentally preparing for the swim when I realized I forgot my goggles and swim cap at home. DANG IT!!! No optional swim this week but I did every other workout and put in an extra strength training session.

Overall, the training is going quite well. On the Saturday run I felt some twinges of pain - just a matter of getting use to the distance after taking some down-time after the marathon (still ran, just short distance). Then the Sunday ride...

I woke up, checked the weather and it said occasional chance of shower. I looked outside - no rain - so I headed to Gainesville. Prepping of the ride was cold but still no rain. I layered up, borrowed boot covers from Coach Ed (thank you, thank you, thank you) and we headed out. Within the first ten miles the rain started coming down, fingers went numb, and the day started looking miserable. I wish I could say it got better. By mile 40 I was wondering what the signs of hypothermia were - I couldn't stop shaking, my heart rate would not go above 104 (even up the hills), and I couldn't feel my finger or toes.

On the plus side, I felt great for the 48.6 miles and we finished about 15 minutes faster then I expected (even on a dry day). The ride itself was the perfect mix of hills, flats, and pretty scenery. It also was not nearly as difficult as I remember which I take to mean I'm getting stronger.

We went to Foster's for cheeseburgers and beer after the ride. Then I went to Dude's for a super hot shower. He put the throw blankets in the dryer and bundled me up in them, made me some hot tea and left me so I could warm up and nap. Wow, he spoils me and I love it (sigh)!

This week is recovery week, so I'm getting a massage this evening. Then some "easy" training all week.

No comments: