Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Big Baby!

I’ve been having a bad day…since Saturday.

Last week was fine, getting over the cold – missed running on Wed and did not do strength. Everything else went well but then Saturday hit.

Saturday - 60 mile bike ride – in an effort to keep this brief I’ll summarize:
Confusion + Wind + Hills + Wrong Turn + More Hills + Riding Alone + Bad Nutrition = Hyperventilating Crying Fit at mile 42 or so. (Actual mileage: 68.3)

Sunday - 15 Mile Run – Planned a 2.5 mile warm up, then the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler, then end with a 2.5 mile cool down. The warm up went well, we were actually questioning if the mileage was correct (cool down was not as pleasant and there was no questioning the distance). Met up with Team Z, found Gina (who had my bib) and she and I headed for the start corral. We started with the Green group which was behind where we should have been so there was A LOT of swerving around people. Stuck with Gina through the whole race – which was a good thing – had I been running alone I would have walked most of Hain’s Point. My legs were screaming! I keep comparing my results from last year (1:42:31) to this year (1:42:10) and I’m not real happy. But then I have to remember I didn’t ride 68.3 miles the day before last year’s race. I should just be happy that I ran the whole thing (Thanks Gina)!

Monday – woke up sore. I mean more sore then after the marathon. I realize my nutrition during/after the workouts sucked. Add that I didn’t stretch near enough, I guess I deserve the pain. Headed into work and was immediately land-blasted with “you missed your profit number by $1.1 Million”. NOT a good way to start the day!!! Found the F-Up (and yes, I did miss profit by $1.1M) and had the joy of explaining the error to my boss…before my performance appraisal. Bet he’s wishing he could re-write that one! Finished the day, still incredibly sore, bought some wine and headed to Dude’s. After a couple glasses the whining came out.

Because of the breakdown on Saturday, the less then stellar run on Sunday, the soreness on Monday I’m seriously questioning my ability to finish this stupid Ironman (that’s what I call it now). I relayed my feelings to Dude – I’m slow, I’m doing the workouts and I’m not getting better, Everyone else is better then me, blah, blah, blah.

Melancholy sets in.

And Dude says “you want to know what I think?”
Me (moodily), “What?”
Dude (in all seriousness): “You’re not ready to go pro.”

And that’s when the wine almost came out of my nose. Gotta love Dude!

Big girl panties back on – let’s finish this build week.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

I've been calling it my "stupid ironman" since I signed up for it :) And, I feel your pain bud. This weekends ride will be better, and we'll tackle it together (assuming you're going to be there). Only way to get faster is to ride faster, so we'll beat the crap out of each other on it. Game?

Es --- IRONMAN! said...

Sounds like a plan. Dude will be coming out but says he's going to do a shorter distance. I have a feeling we may get a lecture about zone 2 training. I agree with you though, the only way to get faster is to ride faster.

gmgizmo9 said...

Hey Es, I did not know you had such a 'rougher' ride on Saturday. Ugh...who needed additional miles? But maybe that will be a good thing in the long run. Glad you made it and of course glad you made it on Sunday. Thanks for running with ME! And...Zone 2? What's that? :) I could not even get close to mine on Saturday and fast was not an option.