Tuesday, April 14, 2009

PoPT - Power of Positive Thoughts

As I said, I was a “Debbie Downer” for a couple of posts so I went into this weekend’s workouts with a positive attitude. I was going to make the mileage and I was going to have a good time doing it.

Saturday – woke up to cold and rain. Think positive, think positive….
Highlights - Not wussing out for the team run, running with Gina (my perfect Zone 2 partner) and Jackie’s Guinness cake after the run.
Lowlights - Did I mention the cold and rain?!

Headed to the gym with the intentions of lifting and swimming. I couldn’t warm up so I went straight to the sauna and thus ended my lifting plans. From there I headed to the hot tub, swam 2,000 meters, then back to the hot tub to soak/stretch. Really, not a bad way to end a cold/wet run day!

Sunday – 72.9 Mile Ride – Boyce, VA – This is one of my favorite team rides and this week was no exception.
Highlights: Riding in zone 2 with Kate, Lindsay, Mary, + 5 or 6 others (who are usually ahead of me), Team Z picnic, seeing Dude out and about, Marlene the Easter Bunny, and finishing my longest ride to date (and for the record I DID go all the way to the turn around point)!
Lowlights: Launching my water bottle at Lindsay (twice), thinking the final 18 was flat (boy was I wrong), seeing Jason and Lindsay and thinking I was moving in slow motion because they had put over 3 miles on me like that (snap your fingers). Turns out, they did NOT go all the way out to the turn-around point so they cut the ride short 2.9 miles.

Lesson learned on the bike ride: I still need to work on nutrition and drinking. I don’t know where my mind was but for the entire ride my nutrition was 2 PowerAde Endurance drinks, 2 Hammer Gels, 2 individual Shot Blocks, 2 individual Luna Moons, and 2 Reeses Peanut Butter cups. NOT NEAR ENOUGH!!! 5 hours –I took in 1,336 calories (1,080 in liquids) and burned over 4,000 calories. I paid the price that evening – started feeling really bad around 5 – hot, pounding headache, racing heart rate, could feel my pulse throughout my body, couldn’t clench my fists. Apparently it was dehydration (thanks to Dude for figuring that out – I thought I was having a heart attack). Four glasses of ice water later and I felt much better!

Monday – woke up exhausted but not in any pain. Had no energy all day but managed to make it out for $.50 wings and beer with the gang.

Aside from the nutrition (I'm working on it) I deem this week and the end of the 3 week build a success.


Two swims, two runs and one bike and it’s race weekend! I am relaying the Oly on Sat (Bike 24 miles) and doing the Sprint on Sunday 750/12 miles/5K.

TGIRW! Thank God It’s Recovery Week!

No comments: