Friday, May 1, 2009

Poor Penny

I'll start by saying my knowledge of bicycle mechanics is limited to cleaning (hate doing it though), changing flats and putting a chain back on. Other then that I know to get on, pedal, and if something gets in my way...swerve.

I mentioned Penny's yelping in Rumpass Relay Report. I lubed up the chain and only heard it a few times during the sprint. None at all during the Virginia Beach ride. Then Tuesday night was the hill workout. First hill, she was yelping like a hurt puppy so I did a quick lube on the chain. Next hill, more yelping and Matt and Ray yelled at me to lube my chain so I did (again). By the end of the third hill I was ready to disown Penny.

A couple of weeks ago Lindsay offered to clean Penny for me so I took her up on the offer. About 1030 PM I get a pop-up message on Facebook. Here's the shortened transcript (filed conveniently named F-in Bonzai):

10:20pmLindsay
So you're going to be pissed at Bonzai...
10:20pmEsther
why
10:21pmLindsay
and, I'm pretty sure the yelp was not from penny's chain...
10:21pmEsther
ur scaring me
10:21pmLindsay
They didn't adjust back of the bottom bracket correctly... soooooo
your tires been rubbing the wheel cutout
10:23pmEsther
how bad is the cutout?
10:24pmLindsay
You've lost paint about halfway up. at the very bottom, it feels a little warn into the carbon..
... you okay?

---end of transcript---

NO! I'm not ok!

So I took Penny in to Bonzai. They removed the back wheel and I saw her injury for the first time. I had to turn away. Seriously, I couldn't look at it. It goes from a little bit of wear down to worn into the carbon by a couple layers.

Long story short (too late), they wanted to send it to Cervelo and I'd be out a bike for 10 days - something I can't afford right now. Bonzai called Cervelo, sent a picture and they determined she's safe for riding through IMS. After IMS I'll take her back and then she'll be sent to Cervelo.

But here's my thing...
Because the damage is not structural or a frame defect fixing/replacing does not fall under the warranty (Cervelo).
The damage is due to the drop outs not being adjusted properly. Since BONZAI assembled her shouldn't they replace the frame?
Will they once they get the rejection from Cervelo?

Positive thought - I have been training with the equivalent of driving with the emergency brake on.
Maybe...
Perhaps...
There could be chance...

I'll be a little faster now that she's not rubbing.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

after chattin with some people about the issue... its highly unlikely Bonzai's going to fork over the $1500 to replace your frame. With any luck, Cervelo will deem the screws that set the tire adjustment defective, which has happened to a good number of people, and it will be Cervelo's fault and they'll replace it...

Hoping for the best!