Friday, January 16, 2009

Following the Black Line

I’m not fast by any means but I do enjoy the swim. When I concentrate on my technique during practice my thoughts are:

Superman – Eyes on the black line - Right elbow bent, cup hand, pull back with fingertips not crossing mid body (like I’m climbing a rope) - Extend back - Graze Hip - High Elbow – Reach forward

Left elbow bent, cup hand, pull back with fingertips not crossing mid body - Extend back - Graze Hip - High Elbow – Reach forward

Right elbow bent, cup hand, pull back with fingertips not crossing mid body - Extend back - Graze Hip - High Elbow – Exhale - Breathe Right - Reach forward - Eyes on the black line …

Had to redo math & update numbers. And repeat 5.1 times alternating breathing side. Turn around and repeat 6.1 times. Repeat this for however many lengths needed for the practice.

With the black line guiding me I swim. It’s repetitive and boring, yet rhythmic, comforting, and strangely relaxing.

Race time is different. Each race starts with panic - technique flies out the window, breathing is overrated, I’m in protective mode from getting hit by others, and I’m fighting for position - it’s pure adrenaline pumped nerves. Then suddenly a deep calm falls over me. My thinking is not as detailed as in practice but I repeat “stroke, stroke, stroke, breathe, stroke, stroke, stroke, breathe, sight” over and over again.

Without the black line guiding me I swim - it’s repetitive and boring, yet rhythmic, comforting, and strangely relaxing.

No comments: