Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Item #58 - Cook 101 things … (3/101)

Smoked Mozzarella & Italian Sausage Lasagna

More comfort food! Again, Epicurious.com – best recipes ever. All of my changes are in italics.

Sauce – I made 1 ½ times the sauce but kept the same amount of sausage.
3 Tbs Olive Oil, divided
1 Lb Italian Sweet Sausage, casings removed
2 Oz Sliced Prosciutto, chopped (used 4 oz)
2 Cups Chopped Onions (1 white onion, ½ a red onion)
1 Celery Stalk, Chopped (2 stalks)
3 Garlic Cloves, Chopped (6 cloves)
1 tsp Dried Oregano (1 ½ tsp)
¼ tsp Dried Crushed Red Pepper (½ tsp)
2 Tbs Tomato Paste (3 Tbs)
1 28 Oz can Italian Style Tomatoes in juice, tomatoes chopped, juice reserved (plus a 14.5 oz diced fire-roasted tomatoes, plus ¼ cup of roasted tomatoes from Wegman’s olive bar)
2 Tbs Chopped Fresh Basil (couldn’t find fresh basil so I used about 4 Tbs of the tube stuff of Italian Seasoning)
Added ½ Cup Chianti wine


Noodles
12 10x2-inch Lasagna Noodles (Used Wegman’s fresh lasagna sheets)
1 15-Oz Container Whole-Milk Ricotta Cheese (Used Skim)
2 Cups coarsely grated Smoked Mozzarella Cheese, divided (about 4 Cups)
1 large Egg

Olive Oil (Used PAM)

Sauce:
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sausage; sauté until browned, breaking up with fork, about 6 minutes. Add prosciutto; stir 1 minute. Transfer mixture to bowl.

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in same pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and next 4 ingredients. Saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste. Add tomatoes with reserved juice, basil, and sausage mixture. Add wine. Reduce heat; simmer until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Didn’t add salt & pepper (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

For lasagna:
Cook noodles in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite. Drain. Arrange in single layer on baking sheet. Stir ricotta and 1 ½ cups mozzarella in bowl. Season with salt and pepper; mix in egg. OK, this is where I completely messed up. I did not pre-boil the noodles so I skipped over this paragraph. After the lasagna was put together and I started clean up, I saw the tub of ricotta. OOPS! Added the ricotta by lifting the layers but did not include the egg.

Brush 13x9x2-inch baking dish with oil. Used a disposable foil lasagna pan to prevent drips and ease in clean up. Spread 1 cup tomato sauce evenly over bottom. Arrange 3 noodles atop sauce. Spread ¾ cup cheese mixture thinly over noodles. Spoon 1 ½ cups sauce over. Repeat with noodles, cheese mixture, and sauce 2 more times. Cover with 3 noodles. Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup mozzarella. Topped with a little Parmasan. Cover with foil. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Chill.)

Preheat oven to 350. Bake lasagna, covered, 40 minutes. Uncover and bake until heated through, about 15 minutes longer. Broiled for 5 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes and serve.

Even with the ricotta debacle this was FABULOUS! Quite honestly, I had so much mozzarella in this I don’t think it really needed the ricotta at all. The smoked mozzarella made the dish. So dang good! Unfortunately, I’ve only made lasagna three times in my life so even though this was great I probably won’t make it again.

No comments: