Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year's Day

13 years ago today the most influential man in my life passed away. Russ was my dad - well official title was step-dad - but he was my dad. He came into my life when I was 4 and sadly left my life when I was 24 - not near long enough. So today, just like every new year's day, I allow myself time to think about him.

He had a curl that came down on his forehead, like one of those 50's movie stars. He was always smiling. And smoking - I think more out of habit then for the enjoyment of smoking. He had a big mustache that got whiter as the years passed. He was a horrible dresser. I'm talking cut-offs (not even jorts - cut-offs with strings hanging), black dress socks, and white sneakers. That was the weekends. For work it was what could only be called dungarees (colored jeans) with a matching short-sleeve button up (he was an engineer so I guess that was acceptable) with a clip-on tie. Russ was the smartest man I've ever known. Engineer, mathematician, genius. But he couldn't teach me algebra. It didn't make sense to him that I didn't get it. Why these memories? They just keep running through my head today.

13 years ago today the most influential man in my life passed away. He inspired me and continues to inspire me. So today, just like every other new years day, I am sad.

No comments: