Sunday, January 4, 2009

Ow!

Let’s start by saying it’s a build week and I managed to swim once during the week. Yep, that’s it. No excuse – just pure laziness!

So here comes the weekend and the plan is to run 18 miles and bike between 2-3 hours. My plan was to run 19 or 20 miles since it felt so good to run 16.

Who’d have thought that running two additional miles would hurt so bad. I’ve heard tale that everything after 18 miles in a marathon is pure pain and now I believe it. Couple weeks ago we did 16 and it was fine – felt great – was just looking forward to running 18. Ha!

The first 17 miles was great just like always, then the twinges started. Even though I was wearing my compression shorts there were these shooting pains up both thighs, but the left was worse. Add that my right knee was starting to swell. Oh, this isn’t good. But I kept going when all of a sudden Nicolas passes us, looking fresh as a daisy. We ask, how far have you ran – he nonchalantly answers 17 as he pulls away. Well, I can’t have that so I try to keep up with him and pull away from the group I was running with. I managed to stay with him for a little bit, but gradually fell back. Stayed within shouting distance which was good since he didn’t know the way.

Finally finished, stretched and headed to Whitlow’s for lunch. Had a chocolate milk (best recovery drink ever) and a Corona Light to numb the pain. Also had a wonderful open face turkey sandwich with mashed potatoes – Whitlow’s lunch is better then their breakfast.

I make it home and take the hottest shower ever. And as if the pain of running wasn’t enough I managed to fall down my stairs with my laundry basket. So I spent the rest of the day icing and heating my joints. Decided against going to Annie’s going-away because I just didn’t have the energy.

I’m now very concerned about the marathon. After yesterday I can’t imagine running another 8 miles. On the plus side, Jason hurt himself running so he is gong to try to get the 18 in next weekend and I will join him. On the plus side, my nutrition seems to be right on track.

Sunday I spun for 2 ½ hours and managed to hurt a completely different set of muscles. This is suppose to be fun, right?!

It’s official – I am seriously questioning my sanity for signing up for IRONMAN!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

So sorry you had a bad run! Mine was crap, too, didn't even get the full 18 in. Oops. Might go for it next weekend as well, so let me know your plans.